Information about Raichur

The Raichur District’s name was derived from its original headquarters town named Rayachooru, which is located in Karnataka. Many of the districts in India are named after its headquarters town. Today, many villagers within and surrounding the district are calling the area by its earlier name, which is Rayachooru. Rayachooru is destination conquered by Vishnuvardhana during his youth.

The Raichur district’s name is considerable antiquity since it can be trailed back from the 12th century the least. Its Raichur Fort had been one of the garrisons taken control by the king of Hoysala, Vishnuvardhana. The conquering was evident from the last three Hoysala inscriptions found in Kannada. One of the earliest three Hoysala inscriptions is found in Hulkera, Belur Taluk within the district of Hasaan. It is believed to belong to the Hoysala Narasimha I’s region during the time of 1161 AD The inscriptions were made from the Perddore, which is usually found at the River of Krishna. The river was located at the north boundary of the Kingdom of Vishnuvardhana.

The 2nd of the earliest three Hoysala inscriptions were found at Hatana that is located in Nagamamgala taluk, which is the present day Manday District. It was dated back from 1178 AD, which was the ruling time of the king of Hoysala, Vira Ballala II. From these inscriptions show that Rayachooru was one of the various forts that Vishnuvardhana conquered with a gloom on his face. The 3rd of the earliest three Hoysala inscriptions that narrate more of the Rayachooru is found at the Hirehalli located in Belur talak, Hassan District. It was dated back from 1183 AD, which is the reigning time of the king of Hoysals, Vira Ballala II. On these inscriptions, it shows that Rayachooru had been one of the places conquered by Vishnuvardhana through the strength of his arm.

From above mentioned places conquered by Vishnuvardhana as well as what the inscriptions are telling, it becomes clearer that the area of Rayachooru is the present day Raichur District. The term “racha” was derived from “raja”, which means king. The Rachanoor, Rayachooru, or Rachavoor refers to the place of the King. It shows that the place becomes a significant town in the state of Karnataka.

In 1294 A.D, the names Rachanoor, Rayachooru, or Rachavoor have been contracted into Rachooru or Rachoor. It was evident on the Kakatiya inscriptions discovered on the fort wall of the present day Raichur District. Up to the time of 1541 AD, which is Vijayanagara times, the given shortened name was continued. This was proven by two Kannada inscriptions found in Alampur; however, the Rachooru or Rachoor was then captured by the Krishnadevaraya king in the north.

Over the centuries, the historical name of Raichur had undergone slight changes in the modern times. The “ya” had been added between the “ra” and the “cha” to make it the present name of the district, which is Rayachooru. The “ya” became the second syllable of the word “raya”, which refers to a king. In Urdu and Hindi, the reciprocal of the “raya” is “rai”.

Today, the present name of the Raichur District was derived from “Naichur”, a repeated kind of story in many forts of India. In addition, the word “raj” refers to “stone” in Telugu. It was given the suffix of “ooru”, which means city or town. As a result, it gave birth to Rajooru name, which refers to city of stones. The Raichur District was said to have many rocks in the vicinity so the name was given accordingly.

Home | Privacy Policy
Copyright 2009 Information about Raichur - All Rights Reserved. Site designed by MKP Websites.